INFO FOR AOL USERS
Attention AOL/NetZero/EarthLink/BellSouth Subscribers
FCAT Explorer users who subscribe to AOL, NetZero, EarthLink, or BellSouth may have some difficulties using the practice programs. If you use AOL, NetZero, EarthLink, or BellSouth, then follow these five steps to access the FCAT Explorer.
Note: AOL version 9.0 Security Edition users are able to access the 3rd Grade Reading and 4th Grade Reading programs using the AOL supplied browser.
1 - Log on to the Internet with AOL, NetZero, EarthLink, or BellSouth.
2 - Minimize your Web browser window. You can do this by clicking the underscore symbol (see Fig. 1) in the upper-right corner of your Web browser window.
Fig. 1 Minimize window
3 - Then, open a different Web browser, such as Internet Explorer 6.0 or Netscape 7.2. You can do this by clicking the blue "e" or green "N" on your desktop (see Fig. 2 and 3). These are shortcuts to Internet Explorer and Netscape.
Fig. 2 Internet Explorer link
Fig. 3 Netscape link
Windows users can also access these Web browsers by clicking Start in the lower-left corner of the screen, selecting Programs or Show All Programs, and then selecting Internet Explorer or Netscape from the Programs menu.
4 - Using the Internet Explorer or Netscape browser, go to www.fcatexplorer.com and enter your sign-in name and password. The program should then load correctly.
To download the latest version of Internet Explorer, go to www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx.
To download the latest version of Netscape, go to browser.netscape.com.
Adjusting AOL's Parental Control Settings
In some cases, AOL's Parental Control settings prevent the FCAT Explorer from loading correctly. The instructions below explain how to turn off AOL's Parental Controls. After following these steps, the FCAT Explorer will load correctly on your computer.
For AOL 9.0 users:
For AOL 6.0/7.0/8.0 users:
- Go to AOL Keyword "Parental Controls"
Click the Safety button on the AOL toolbar, then click "Parental Controls."
- Click the screen name of the AOL user who will be using the FCAT Explorer. You will be changing the settings for the selected user.
- Click Edit Web Control.
- Choose General (18+).
- Click Save.
- Click OK.
- Finally, click Close.
- Click the Settings tab in the menu bar at the top of your screen.
- Scroll down to Parental Controls.
- Under Edit Parental Controls, click the screen name of the AOL who will be using the FCAT Explorer.
- Click on Edit Age Category and change it to General.
- Close the window and log off from AOL. Then, log on again for the settings to become active.